Monday, April 25, 2016

EdTech 541 Final Blog

I initially signed up for EdTech 541 because up until now, most of my coursework had been focused on strictly online teaching. However, I was planning on broadening my horizons to teach with technology in a physical classroom. This course helped me prepare to do that by focusing on integrating technology into classroom teaching. This class has helped me grow professionally because I learned a variety of integration strategies that I was previously unaware of. Furthermore, it helped me define my teaching philosophy. 

My teaching practice and thoughts have been impacted by this course because I now automatically consider ways to teach using technology in a in-person classroom that I wouldn't have previously.
Many of the lessons I have designed on this website are from constructionist theory. This is because I believe that Students should be given ways to construct their own learning. However, I am also a strong believer in Argumentation Theory because debates and discussion facilitate critical thinking skills in the classroom by encouraging learners to include broader and more thought out perspectives. Finally, I also like to use Transformative learning theory because I think that students are more able to come to a complete understanding, or transform, after deep reflection.

As part of my Masters in Technology program, I will be completing a final portfolio that will emphasize projects I have worked on during the program. I will also be matching these projects to AECT standards. This website helped me to meet the following standards. 

Content Knowledge: I met this standard by creating lesson plans in three content areas that were not traditionally part of International Relations teaching. I demonstrated how technology could be used in those content areas and provided examples of how it could be done.

Content Pedagogy. I met this standard by evaluating current research articles on using technology in teaching environments and applying this knowledge to form a personal technology teaching philosophy.

Learning Environments. I met this standard by focusing on the environment that I actually plan on teaching in next year.

Professional Knowledge and Skills. I discovered a lot of teaching resources. I was also able to discover methods and ways to implement learning that I had not previously considered such as serious games and social media.

Blog Self Assessment: 

CriteriaOutstanding
Proficient
Basic
Below Expectations

Content

70 points
Rich in content, full of thought, insight and synthesis with clear connections to previous or current content and/or to real life situations made with depth and detail.Substantial information, thought, insight and analysis has taken place with some connection to previous or current content and/or to real life situations but lack of depth and detail.Generally competent in summarizing learning, but information is thin and commonplace with limited connections and vague generalities.Rudimentary and superficial regurgitation of content with no connections and/or completely off topic.
Readings and Resources

20 points
Readings (from course text) and other resource materials are used to support blog comments. APA style is used to cite references.There is some reference to readings and other resource material. No or limited use of APA style references.Little if any reference is made to readings an other course materials.Readings and resources are not mentioned.
Timeliness

20 points
All required postings are made early in the module to give others time to comment.All required postings are made but not in time for others to read and respond.Some or all of the required postings are made, but most are at the last minute without allowing for response time.Some or all of the required postings are missing.
Responses to Other Students

30 Points
Two or more substantial posts with at least one detailed response made to address another students' post.One or more satisfactory posts with at least one satisfactory response made to address another students' post.One satisfactory post with a brief response to another students' post.One brief post or no post at all and no response to another students' post.

No comments:

Post a Comment