Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Rationale for Assistive/Adaptive Technology

When my son was born, I would have never guessed, predicted, or believed that he would be born with Autism.
 I initially suspected that he had some problems when my mother mentioned it to me when he was nine months old. I can not begin to explain how it is for a mother. It became increasingly complicated when my daughter was also born with some underdevelopment problems. Therefore, you could imagine that I don't need to find research to prove to myself the importance of using adaptive or assistive technology. As a mother, I do not care how much money it takes, tight budgets are something I'm used to.  However, I can understand why those who don't have the equivalent of a second degree in Autism would need an explanation. Lets not forget that it is not just necessary for those with Autism. Every week I take my son to Physical Therapy, Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy, counseling, and Habilitative Intervention, but I only take my daughter to Occupational Therapy, counseling and Habilitative Intervention. You can imagine how many lobbies I have sat in filled with other children like mine and often times with more severe disabilities than my children have. These kids are not just numbers in a budget, they are real. They need the same opportunities as typical children and they will still need them when they reach adulthood.  It is easy to rationalize cutting budgets for a minority of children when they are not your children or your students. I didn't think much about it either before I had mine. It can be difficult for some people to relate to heartfelt stories of personal experience. Logical arguments are needed. 
When children with disabilities get access to technology that can help them function in society, it benefits society as a whole. However, according to Dave Edyburn, without it, "Environmental barriers detract from people's ability to participate in society and perform desired activities"  When those children grow up, they will contribute to society. Therefore, as children, they need access to the best assistance to help them do that. Some of the greatest thinkers, musicians, and artists have or had disabilities. Could you possibly imagine Stephen Hawking without the adaptive or assistive technology and devices that he needs every day? Would he be considered the greatest scientist in the world? It is difficult to predict who the next Einstein will be if his or her school district doesn't see the value of making sure that every child reaches his or her full potential. 

Edyburn, D. L. (2000). Assistive technology and students with mild disabilities. Focus on Exceptional Children, 32(9), 1.

2 comments:

  1. Tabielle,
    I also have a child with autism. Additionally he is totally blind, leagally deaf and brain injured. THe American Library Association provides an excellent statement in it's description of equality. Which begins by stating "The ideal of equal access is fundamental to American democracy" and concludes with "Correspondingly, access to channels of communication and sources of information that is made available on even terms to all-a level playing field--is derived from the concept of fairness as uniform distribution, where everyone is entitled to the same level of access and can avail themselves if they so choose."
    The question individuals should consider is, are others rights less important if they require special accommodations? Are we a Democracy? Do we believe in our founding principles or not? Do we have the right to deprive individuals to equal access?
    Thank you for an validating read and common viewpoint.
    Sincerely,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tabielle,
    That was a wonderfully written post! I do not personally have a child with a disability, but have worked with many and often times see the defeated look on a parent's face, and it breaks my heart. Like you said though, not everyone realizes the importance of giving EVERY child the chance and the access to technology, and money sometimes outweighs those needs in their eyes. I truly believe that this outlook will change, but only if people like you continue to advocate for all of our children. Nice work!
    Meagan Dye

    ReplyDelete